Friday, June 20, 2008

Quotable Quotes: C.o.m.m.u.n.i.c.a.t.i.o.n.

Are you ashamed yet Etsy?

"Imagine if my customers (or potential customers) contacted me asking me a question and I didn't respond to them. What kind of an impression would they have of me?

1. They're not important to me
2. I have no intentions of doing/making what they want
3. They're annoying me
4. I don't want their business
5. I don't care about my own business

Now imagine if a customer bought from me and contacted me upon receipt of their package and wrote "The listing said this soap was blue but the soap I got is pink" and I convo'd them back and said "The soap is blue" and linked them to the listing in my shop showing a blue soap. And they wrote back and said, "yeah, i see that the soap in the listing is blue. What I'm telling you is MY SOAP IS PINK." To which I responded with another link to the blue soap listed in the shop.

What does THIS say about me?

1. I'm not listening to you
2. You're stupid, stupid--look at the picture, the soap is BLUE!
3. I don't really care about you now that you've paid me
4. It's not me, it's you. Really, it's YOU. Now stop pestering me
5. I don't have the time to actually ADDRESS your issue, so I'll just keep linking you back to the pretty little picture of the blue soap. See? It's blue. Got it?

What if a seller bought from me and contacted me a week later and said "Where's my order?" And I replied "I'm working on it". A few days later--"where's my order?" "I'm
working on it." And so on and so on.

Once again, I'm showing my customers that they're not important to me, I don't value them, and that maybe I'm not even WORKING on their order. "Oh yeah, I'll get to your order right after I finish this article on "Cool Stuff for Curly Haired People" for my blog and then make a video of myself showing my fly dance moves."

You can't provide good customer service to your customers if THEY ARE NOT YOUR PRIORITY.

I bend over backwards for my customers. I don't think it's inappropriate for me to expect the same from the venue on which I sell (and pay money to)."

9 Comments:

Smarty Pants said...

I don't think the folks at etsy want to hire more help to take care of it's customers. Period. Maybe it's the thinning of pay checks, maybe it's that they are idiots.
It's areally simple solution: HIRE CUSTOMER SERVICE people who are only responsible for customer service.
Isn't this a no-brainer by now?

jodie said...

Many of us bend over backwards for our customers. Etsy, however, expects its customers to bend over forwards.....

Anonymous said...

Whoever posted that thread ROCKS!! That is just too darn true about Etsy, unfortunately.

And Jodie, I think you have it just about right, m'dear.

"Ok. Now... touch your toes. I promise, this big fat bill isn't going to hurt when I jam it up your-"

Anonymous said...

"""Oh yeah, I'll get to your order right after I finish this article on "Cool Stuff for Curly Haired People" for my blog and then make a video of myself showing my fly dance moves.""
-------------------------

OMG I just pissed myself.

Impetuous said...

It is clear that Etsy has, up to this point, taken for granted many many things. They have had a very supportive positive community that went out of their way to promote and help monitor their own site bringing it to the point it is at today.

Now we see that these ungrateful people, who have made no effort to be discrete about their good fortune, never gave a fuck about their customers, EVER.

How sad it is that the new members who sign up every day, are lead into a candy house, only to be slowly baked to a crisp, so Etsy can pick up the loose change in the ashes.

(bea makes sure they stop at her place on the way)

goofy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Impetuous said...

I don't see where he said he is exiting in a few years.

I did, however see his Flickr boner...

Anonymous said...

whenever i see admin post threads asking for our input, i want to bash my head into something pointy. they have asked many, many times, and people have responded eloquently and clearly, many, many times.
we have outlined what we expect as far as communication, customer service, and site functionality.
why do they keep asking? are they waiting for us to change our answers? they can keep banning the people who keep asking for better communication/ functionality/ etc, but smart, concerned business minded people keep poppin' up, just like whack -a - moles!

-sickofthesameoldshit

MajorFuckingEtsyBurnout said...

"Now imagine if a customer bought from me and contacted me upon receipt of their package and wrote "The listing said this soap was blue but the soap I got is pink" and I convo'd them back and said "The soap is blue" and linked them to the listing in my shop showing a blue soap. And they wrote back and said, "yeah, i see that the soap in the listing is blue. What I'm telling you is MY SOAP IS PINK." To which I responded with another link to the blue soap listed in the shop."
-------------------------------

This is EXACTLY what it is like trying to get help from Admin. Rinse. Repeat.

The sad part is I would still be on the Etsy Rah Rah train had I not encountered a snafu or 2 in which I needed help and support. Help and support I was constantly told would always be there-that they would always be there to back me up.

Instead I got silence, and form letters, even after asking multiple bullet-pointed two part questions and hitting reply over and over to pressing issues. Issues constantly replied to by a different person, if at all, as if this was the first time they had learned to read, and all they were able to read and type were links to the D&D's. Kids, shit happens that is not in the D&D's, and we need answers from you, timely answers and SUPPORT. What we do not need is to be passed off (if acknowledged at all) with old links and smug little sign-offs.

Because after paying hundreds of dollars every single month in Etsy fees, frankly I felt I deserved better. Cal me crazy.

As a result, I no longer trust them, or have faith that they know how to run a business. I was willing to deal with the little bugs and things up to that point. But, now it just appears to be all bugs, smug indie cred, and non-existent service & support for it's sellers.

To all the folks reading this that are like, what are these bitches on about? Just wait until you need HELP and SUPPORT from admin. And then re-think that question.

ETSY: GET SOME FUCKING CUSTOMER SERVICE. IF YOU HAD IT, WE BITCHES WOULDN'T BE HERE!!!GET A FUCKING PHONE NUMBER, HIRE SOMEONE WITH CS EXPERIENCE AND LET HER ROLL...

So fucking pathetic.