Thursday, June 5, 2008

From the Bitches Auxiliary: Non Paying Buyers Rant

I am a buyer, seller, and forum user sick and tired of sellers bitching about non paying buyers, asking how long a buyer has to pay, how to deal with a non paying buyer and about non paying buyers leaving negative feedback ect. I understand sellers frustration I am not tired of them just this issue being brought up time and time again. Especially since I think this should have never been an issue in the first place.

Now I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but am I only person thinking that a non paying buyer is a contradiction in terms!?!? How can someone be a buyer if they did not pay? Why does Etsy send the person who has not paid a confirmation of sale as if they paid? Why is there even a concept of a grace period? How is Etsy claiming to take handmade items and indie business main stream when they are running Etsy like it is the store you had in your 5th grade class room to buy pencils and fun erasers? When paying was done by the honor system? I mean the most basic function of Etsy is to SELL items to people who pay. It pisses me off to no end that Etsy is making the decision to accept a "sale" with out making the buyer pay...which is something I would NEVER do because it is stupid! Why is Etsy trying to make me look like a jackass?

Please Etsy STOP making sales that do not involve me getting paid. Believe it or not I have better things to do than track down a buyer to pay...especially when Etsy leads them to believe that they already paid.

12 Comments:

JustAnotherDay said...

I never really thought of it this way and it makes perfect sense. Why let both customer and seller *think that the item h as been purchased when clearly it has not been....

tinaseamonster said...

this is a dumb arguement. etsy doesn't know if the seller has put a check in the mail. this whole site is a lot of whining.

The Sneaky One said...

Ahh, tina, we know your an Etsy Admin favorite. If you think its just a bunch of whining, then why are you here? (We're using Etsy logic)

Apparently our stats and full e-mail box says differently.

The Angsty One said...

*Snickers*

You forgot the analogy, "If there is something on TV you don't like, do you keep watching it?"

The Righteous One said...

The problem with receipt/purchase/payment/nonpayment has been brought up in the Etsy forums numerous times. It's an old problem and a reasonable bitch.

You're right, Etsy doesn't know if the BUYER has put a check in the mail. That's what the 'other' payment box upon checkout and the seller's 'paid for' checkbox on the sold page are for. Therefore, Etsy shouldn't tell both parties it's purchased until both say so!

Put that in your koolaid and drink it!

Anonymous said...

Totally valid bitch. I am sooooo sick of seeing a "sale" and the hoping it's actually been paid for. How ridiculous is that? It's lame, thats what it is. And tina, I like your shop, I've seen you in the forums back in the day, but if you think this site doesn't have a million valid points,then you're deluding yourself.
I LOVE etsy, I appreciate the venue and opportunity, but it's fucked up in so many ways and only getting worse. Time for a reality check, love.

j. hart photography said...

yes! why on earth is it a sale before you even pay????? it makes no sense whatsoever.

pomomama said...

i'm perfectly happy with sellers opting to accept cheques via snail mail, but why should those who want payment by PayPal only still have to cope with such an antiquated system of buying/selling as shown by the NPB's on etsy?

if PayPal is all you accept why not make it impossible for buyers to leave the checkout page without hitting "PAY"?

RecoveryBabe said...

hmmm. A policy section? Maybe buyers could read that every now and again before purchasing something. (directed towards types of payment)

And I think it's dumb that Etsy tells you/and the buyer that a transaction has been made before payment has been made.

Do you go to the store get something and get a reciept without paying for it? duh.

The Kinky One said...

"this whole site is a lot of whining"

Nope, sorry.

It's a whole lot of bitching, thank you.

Simone said...

The truly sad thing about this situation is that Etsy seems to genuinely believe that the only solution to this problem is an in-house payment system. Which is like using a steam roller to hammer in a nail.

I use Shopify for my main online outlet and - as on Etsy - I only accept Paypal through that shop. My cart *never* records a sale without payment being completed on Paypal. Paypal has functionality built to ensure that this is what happens.

I gather the problem is that apparently Etsy can't get it to work reliably. They seem to blame Paypal for this, but it seems highly unlikely that Paypal engineers have less of a clue than Etsy engineers.

And if Shopify and many other cart systems can get it right, why can't Etsy do so? They're not using magic to make it happen, after all!

I get so fed up with the time this takes up and the stress it causes buyers and sellers alike when I know for sure that a fix already exists which will work for the vast majority of sales on Etsy.

Anonymous said...

*time out*

You said erasers, and I was immediately reminded of a site I saw the other day, which took me right back to 4th grade.

http://www.itasho.com/

sweet!