Saturday, June 28, 2008

From the Bitches Auxiliary

I'm so glad we're going to have arts and crafts classes at etsy, instead of them policing the site to see that it doesn't turn into ebay. I can't believe all the people that use other peoples'copyrighted images to make a buck.

366 of these - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5642869§ion_id=5345185
and http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5980462

I went to the actual wallet category and get cell phone charms and key chains. And you know what? The damn NOT search isn't working - so I can't exclude the two links above or the other garbage. So I attempted to find a fun little wallet for 30 minutes. I'm so frustrated I'm just going to go buy one at Target today.

But hey, at least we get arts and crafts, where Etsy will teach other people how to etch metal. What's more fun than learning how to play with acid and hazardous materials over the internets? I wonder if they will be explaining the creation of free copper ions and the needs to dispose of the mordant as hazardous waste? With the level of intelligence so often shown in forums I wonder how many people will end up hurt? Maybe they can teach cold process soap next, so everyone that posts to a dormant thread and feels the need to say "OMG I killed another thread!" 1 minute later can go play with lye.

/rant off

Seriously frustrated,

Bitch wannabe.

ps - thanks for protecting my identity. I love the blog.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I am really smart and even I won't try etching metal. With apologies to those without health insurance, I can see the forum posts now:

"Help, I got acid in my eye doing the Etsy metal etching tutorial they gave online, do you think it will stop eating away my eyeball eventually? I don't have health insurance and a doctor's visit will cost too much"

Replies:

"Thank goodness I live in Canada where healthcare is free"

"Maybe see how much of your eyeball is left on Monday and then call a doctor"

"OMG, I am so sorry this happened"

"Once I got pickle juice in my eye and it hurt so bad, I know how you feel"

And so on .........

bencandance said...

Well one of those links listed *is* wallets but yes, copyrighted images for sure.


It's an easy way to make a buck. Bands, movies and t.v. shows sell. I've seen a lot of pendants being sold that way too.


Have never done it myself but I know of one "polymer pendant" person selling at least 5 to 10 a day...using all images from the internet. Copyrighted images. They've been selling on Etsy for a year and a half.

Yeah, it can make us honest sellers feel bitter. Most definitely.

They are making money and we're not. We don't even get a certificate saying "thanks for keeping Etsy honest". :P

Anonymous said...

Tiny Meat:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=29119

Licensed artists' work FTW!

Seriously, are they going to take the chance to get sued if people get hurt following a how-to..?

It boggles the mind.

bencandance said...

What's FTW?

I was thinking "for the record"
but that would be FTR.

The Cranky One said...

FTW is "For the Win"

Ivydionne said...

My favorite was when the Breakfast at Tiffany's poster made it to the front page. Just a plain poster in a plain black frame. On the front page. It got pulled pretty quickly but it should have never made it there in the first place.

Admin is so busy playing with acid they can't even bother to notice blatant rule-breaking when selecting a treasury for the front page.

Pffft.

Meredith said...

Sheesh,

Not to be a cheerleader because I'm not, but in TinyMeat's defense he has permission from those artists to use those images on his wallets. It's a series he's been doing for a while now where they collaborate together to create the piece and he gives the artist due credit.

I don't agree with the others who are using purely copyright images on their items, but stick to them not those who do it by the books.

Anonymous said...

I think artist/artist, crafter/artist, and crafter/crafter collaborations are awesome and I have no problem... in fact I think it's great... seeing an artist's work adorning a nicely made wallet as a result of a mutually beneficial working relationship.

I really hate seeing all that rip-off work though... not a bit of creativity in glueing someone else's art who you never asked or paid onto a commercially produced lighter... that crap doesn't belong on Etsy.

Anonymous said...

Meredith,

For the record, TinyMeat rocks and was NOT anyone I was talking about. I'm speaking of the people that use movie pictures, etc., blatantly ripped off.

I personally love the collaboration TinyMeat does, and yes, licensed artist collaboration FTW! That's what Etsy is about :)

Combustion Glassworks said...

Just another TinyMeat backer.. I absolutely agree tenfold about the copyrighted images, but he works in collaboration with the artists. I am quite sure they benefit as well from the massive exposure and general awesomeness they have achieved.

But, for sure.. a Pulp Fiction or Stewie wallet, wtf!