Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Etsy from a Buyers Perspective...

The original post says it all, really...

Maxornot says:

I have had no problem ordering from any site previously, but in this
case, I was checking out, I'd already entered in the Shipping Address
-- not my address -- and the Ship-To was given as my address.

I could not 'Change' it, though it should have pulled the address I
entered. because it was an International address. I was ordering an
item from a seller in Australia, TO an Australian address.

Even with all this, I immediately received an order confirmation from
Etsy, even though I had not fully checked out.

The email response I have received from Etsy, clearly indicates that
the support person is not reading one word of my notes, but keeps
posing other questions, then, saying she can't recreate the problem. I
have asked that the transaction, and all my information be deleted,
after spending an hour and a half on this.

To make matters worse. When I looked at my ordering history, the order
is there, as entered, with the correct ship-to address, yet through
the cart, and at the last stage, as I stated, it did not show that
address.

I used to work for an online business -- never had this sort of
difficulty. Why would you want to sell if buyers can't buy?



The best part was yet to come in the following trainwreck of a thread. http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5637833

If I were Maxornot, there would be a list of people I would never buy from after some of the things people said in the thread. I completely understand why he/she isn't going to buy from Etsy until they figure their stuff out. Though, I do not agree with Etsy having their own IHPS. (Does anyone else read that as IHOP when they're tired?)

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see this comment from a seller? WTF? I swear, the sellers are getting as self-righteous and condescending as the ETSY staff.

---
[BLANK] says:
Honestly, I don't believe a word of it.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA, and THIS is precious:

Maxornot says:
So while Support has not resolved any issues, they've managed to move this thread from Site Help to Business Topics?
---

Welcome to Etsy Max. Welcome to Etsy...

The Angsty One said...

I just don't understand what was so confusing about the original post? No one seemed to grasp what the OP was saying. I had no problem with it...

Ladies Auxilliary said...

This bums me out. It's so classic it hurts. I too have noticed the striking efficiency of the thread-movers...

But kudos to the thread mover, for modeling the kind of efficiency we'd like to see elsewhere in the site!

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't wait until etsy distills their excellent customer service experience into the handy "Guide to Customer Service" series they're going to start running:

http://www.etsy.com/storque/section/howTos/article/service-tips-for-sellers-introduction-to-a-new-series/1851/

Anonymous said...

Most of the jumpers were already on my Do No Buy From list.

The rest have since been added.

The Disgruntled One said...

And the "Do Not Buy From" list gets longer ...

The Dangerous Mezzo said...

I don't have a do not buy list, myself, but this makes me want to start one :)

The Angsty One said...

My question is... do these sellers not REALIZE that their words can reflect badly on them?

I've always heard the words, "Always treat people kindly as you may meet them later in life". And it's true! I worked retail a lot and I always tried to be on my best behavior even if I was having a bad day. I've met up with plenty of people I've helped in the stores later on and they always remember the good customer service. I've had people offer me jobs because of this.

To read that "these are the kinds of buyers I don't want coming to my store" makes me think you either a. make too many sales to worry about it or b. have been bitten by the bitter NPB bug one too many times.

I don't know. This topic just really pisses me off.