Tuesday, July 1, 2008

From The Auxiliary Guild: DNS = Don't Know Shit

I personally found it extremely shocking to not only get two emails in a week, but we got three! Or was it four??? I feel faint. When we got this from Auxiliary bitch and couldn't stop pounding the table shouting "Encore! Encore!"

Dear Etsy, thank you so much for your helpful email, with links to the Storque that I cannot access.

Thank you so much for explaining that there is nothing you can do about this.

However, maybe I can help - you see the lovely people who host my website - yes, my personal website that works directly through Paypal and where people can find exactly what they want - recently moved servers. Their business was growing too and they wanted the best for their customers.

Shall I tell you what they did?

One month before hand they emailed me to tell me what was going to happen, why and when. Then they sent a reminder 3 days before. Then they moved all the data to a new server centre and when they had finished *24 hours ahead of schedule* (yes, they gave me a timeline for this) they emailed me again to tell me that it was all successful.

And do you know what? It was. Minimal downtime, 100% accurate data transfer and what's more they promise a refund for every hour beyond the transfer period in which any of my 3 sites weren't accessible.

They are, in case you are interested, a very young company but one that has great customer service, never greets problems from customers as if they are the customers own fault when they aren't and in short - know precisely what they are doing and how to run a business site.

Would you like their phone number?

24 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Third day I cannot buy anything on Etsy since I can't access it. Well at least Ebay is getting my money. It seems very strange at many jobs we've had to move/change/add/redirect servers and never told our customers it was their fault. But then again we had little to no downtime. Hrmmm, interesting.

Anonymous said...

I've had approximately ... zero emails from Etsy this week. Should I worry? Should I be working out exactly how this is entirely my own fault?

Anyway, excellent post! And entirely accurate based on my own experiences with all sorts of other web-based businesses offering important services to members.

The Cranky One said...

You have signed up for etsy support mails? If not it is your own damned fault the emails are opt-in not opt out! Etsy is only worried about your inbox!

Smarty Pants said...

uh... I would like their number.

stonesoupjewelry said...

Sigh. See, all you have to do is *tell* people what you're doing.

Why is this so hard for Etsy? Moving servers isn't one of those super-secret-we're-moving-in-some-new-furniture-but-can't-tell-you-what-it-looks-like projects.

Unknown said...

That was just awesome.

I'd like their number too!

Anonymous said...

Coo! Fame at last!

For those who want the number (and I hope the Bitches will allow me to pimp my webhosts here), Google for ixwebhosting

Caethes

Anonymous said...

this is exactly why i am feeling a bit disgruntled. i dont care about forum b.s. or admin hijinx, just let the customers find my stuff and leave me alone
how is it that any business is allowed this level of customer dis-service

SewCrazyDogLady said...

what? Wait! I didn't get any emails!

27 said...

c'mon yarn girl and smarty pants... everyone knows that Etsy doesn't believe in phones. srsly. phones are so 2002.

hannahfaerie said...

he he he, hope you don't mind but I just copied this (with credit to 'another etsy user') and posted it in a thread. I am sick of not being able to see my OWN images!

Ladies Auxilliary said...

Bravo.

Oh Etsy, we LOVE getting communication from you about important site events...why don't you understand!? We're begging, crying and bitching for it, and still, you won't give it to us...cruel master...

Anonymous said...

I want to know who this small company is that you use. I am working on getting all my stuff up off Etsy and am deciding on all the server/hoster details.

The Sneaky One said...

No attacking commenters, sickofit @1218.

Anonymous said...

ladeda, I'd suggest looking into Shopify and BigCartel as a way to provide a shopping cart without needing to set up hosting and the like - you can also use your own domain name with Shopify if you like (and possibly with BigCartel too). My experiences with Shopify in terms of communication and improving their product have been really excellent.

http://www.shopify.com
http://bigcartel.com

Anonymous said...

Ladeda - look up :-)

ixwebhosting

They're not small though

j. hart photography said...

my brother is a tech guy. he told me that etsy could have avoided all that if they'd done it right. it was poor planning and sloppy tech work.

shocking eh?

Aja said...

Yeah. I contacted someone today about making a website for me. I have about had it.

Anonymous said...

jhart,

I mentioned this latest Etsy episode to my Tech Hubby and his response:

'Run, run away!'

Impetuous said...

Love this letter.

MajorFuckingEtsyBurnout said...

LOL.

I recognize that Classic Etsy Response in there...just rcving the classic condescending cut and paste of the TOU's in their reply...Aghhhaaaa!

Anonymous said...

I've been shopping around for a web site building/hosting site and keep thinking "huh, maybe Etsy should use these guys too" whenever I find one that seems really good.

Grace said...

I'm getting ready to do a blog entry about my Volusion.com site.

GAWD I love these people! I want to have their internet babies.

I get to choose between phone, chat and email support, 24/7/365. The longest I have ever waited for an answer to an email question is 4 1/2 hours, and that was late at night, on a weekend. It wasn't a canned answer, it was a real live person who actually read my question. He offered a solution, and then emailed me back to make sure that it was working OK for me! THEN, he asked if there was anything else I needed!

It gets even better. This was not a fluke. I've had this level of customer service every single time without fail.

The more I work on my own site, the madder I get at Etsy.

eclipse said...

I've seen several forum posts and UEN posts by people who wasted hours of their weekend on the phone with their ISP, one person bought a new modem they didn't need, people spent money on Geek Squad coming out, people took their computers in for repair, etc. So much time and money WASTED over this mess.