Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Day in Quotes: Saturday, July 12th

Searching

Lord knows, if somebody wants cheap mass-produced junk, it's not like they have to work as hard as they do here to find and buy it.


What is this advertising you speak of?
I'm not sure I understand why Etsy *needs* Adwords. I think it's an interesting and useful suggestion, one worth looking into, but not something that I feel Etsy *must* do. I have mixed feelings about using eBay as a benchmark for Etsy's success, and I'm not even sure that worked for eBay would work for Etsy in any event. Advertising is always expensive and risky,


Searching revisited
Q: I am new here and I love your work. I tried to find it in the search but couldn't because I used different words than you do to describe your bowl. I tried wood bowl, wood lathe bowl. wood carved bowl, wood handmade bowl, and you didn't come up in any of those. Why not?

A: Because (1) the search engine sucks and (2) my tags suck because I really don't understand the *precise* way in which the search engine sucks.

FWIW, they're all tagged "woodworking", "turned", and "bowl"...apparently that is insufficient/suboptimal/whatever. I say the search engine sucks, someone else will say I don't know how to do tags, and the real answer is, we're both right.



If you were quoted, congratulations and thanks! You can find your
celebratory "I've been Quoted" (and other EB avatars) by clicking here.

0 Comments: